Warning: include_once(/home/hsj/html/wp-content/plugins/live-comment-preview.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hsj/html/wp-settings.php on line 190

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/hsj/html/wp-content/plugins/live-comment-preview.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home/hsj/html/wp-settings.php on line 190
Finally, a Home | Paradise Found

Finally, a Home

We landed in our long-term rental last Monday. And just last night got our Internet hooked up. It’s been a crazy month or more of house hopping. I cannot tell you how lovely it is to be here. With our own stuff. And our own beds. I am quite sure after these weeks that I could never (ever!) be a hobo.

Let me just recap our last month, in photos:

First, we stayed for 3 nights with friends in Kohala:

Then we packed our suitcases and headed to Kona:

Where we read lots of books:

While we were there, Evan had shave ice (and eventually a hair cut!):

And jumped off rocks:

After ten days or so, we packed up again and headed back to Kohala where we created Halloween costumes out of thin air and garbage bags:

After another week at this location, we moved to Kukuihaele and stayed in a little vacation rental that was dubbed a “honeymoon cottage.” It started out like this:

And then we discovered that there was something dead in the roof (I will spare you images of that!) and that a crazy cardinal arrived early every morning to commence slamming himself into the kitchen window:

And that there was a <insert screaming lady here> resident cane spider (note the hand holding the quarter for size comparison!):

After all that, we finally moved into our long-term rental that is just lovely. Nothing fancy, mind you, but plenty of space, room for chickens and a garden and a view of the ocean:

Onward to our next adventure – so long as it’s right here on this island!

9 Comments

1. by Shelly, on November 18 2009 @ 4:54 pm

DEAR LORD THAT SPIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I am happy you are settled and will get in touch with you soon but I must now go calm my nerves after seeing that horrendous arachnid. OMG!!!!!!!!!!

2. by lapazfarm, on November 18 2009 @ 6:32 pm

What an adventure! Glad you finally found a place to land.
    (And cool spider,btw.)

3. by lapazfarm, on November 18 2009 @ 6:37 pm

Oh, and just a nifty little fyi, did you know that your spider is the same kind they used in the movie arachnophobia? Pretty cool, eh?

4. by paradisefound, on November 18 2009 @ 6:45 pm

We did look it up to find out they’re mostly “friendly” – if scary looking – but no, didn’t know that they were movie stars! (It was way impressive and looked just like those plastic Halloween spiders – only bigger!)

5. by Leslie, on November 18 2009 @ 9:45 pm

I am in awe of that picture of the room with all the books. I LOVE that room. I want to BE in that room!

I’m so glad you’re settling into your own home. I know what a relief that must be.

Leslie

6. by alan, on November 19 2009 @ 12:44 pm

I love cane spiders, they eat their weight in bugs every day. I had one jump on me in the bathtub when I lived in Paradise Pk., that was freaky. That’s the thing about Hawaii, the bugs love it as much as you do!.

7. by rene, on November 19 2009 @ 6:48 pm

I give you a lot of credit for being such a nomad. It must feel wonderful to be getting settled. I love the pictures of the beach and Brad and Evan look quite at home.
    Rene

8. by carrie, on November 21 2009 @ 8:22 pm

Holy crap – that’s a big spider!

9. by Becky, on November 29 2009 @ 5:07 am

Welcome home, to you and the chickens : ). Just in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas — may you all be very, very happy!

I can sympathize with the rootlessness, since I’ve spent one week — ONLY five more to go — on my parents’ couch in NYC helping them to look after things while my father goes through radiation treatments. I miss my stuff — including bed, chickens, kids, and husband…

Comment RSS

About Author

Your author profile widget would look nice here in sidebar 3.