Warning: include_once(/home/hsj/html/wp-content/plugins/live-comment-preview.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hsj/html/wp-settings.php on line 190

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/hsj/html/wp-content/plugins/live-comment-preview.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home/hsj/html/wp-settings.php on line 190
Lookit! | Paradise Found

Lookit!

Remember way back when the year was young and  I was lamenting our use of Ziploc bags,  vowing (well, I guess there was more vowing than lamenting) to use fewer ? Gads, what a struggle. Hubby packs a lunch every day and though he tries to use reusable containers as I have nagged politely asked,  finding lids and containers that match at 4 a.m. taxes his patience, and he ultimately gives in to convenience.

Yesterday it occurred to me that there’s another option: fabric! Today we have four prototype eco-friendly snack bags made from my scrap pile:

The bags have a square bottom so they will sit flat and stay open, and they’re (clearly) wider at the top (velcro closure still to come). I modified a lunch bag pattern at Skip to my Lou to make it work. Hubby’s concerned that the moisture in his lunch box will be a problem, so I’m going to try to treat them with flax oil to turn them into old fashioned oilcloth bags (I don’t want to use  modern oilcloth for close contact with food, and I don’t think it would hold up as well).

9 Comments

1. by Shelly, on November 23 2008 @ 4:21 pm

My. God. Kris. Where do you get the creativity? Where do you find the time to even CONSIDER doing something like this? So very cool.

And any hubby that makes his own lunch at 4 AM is all right in my book! :)

2. by Andrea, on November 24 2008 @ 3:40 am

These are awesome! :)

3. by Not June Cleaver, on November 24 2008 @ 4:40 am

Those are great. Did you apply for a patent?? :)

Have you seen the Wrap’n Mats at Reusable Bags? They are really great. They have some sort of a plastic liner that is washable but safe for food contact. Perhaps you could do something like that.

4. by paradisefound, on November 24 2008 @ 5:19 am

Shelly, kids were away at Lisa’s and I vowed not to spend the day doing anything that could be easily undone (like dished, vacuuming, laundry…). Seriously though, it took about an hour to make these.

5. by jove, on November 24 2008 @ 1:27 pm

Hmmm. Our big use of ziplocs (which we wash and reuse) is mostly for stuff that I want airtight, like cheese. I’m trying to use more containers though.

6. by Jody, on November 24 2008 @ 1:28 pm

He will be a big hit at work with that yellow flower pattern! But seriously, that’s very cool. How do they close? Are they washable? Did you answer all my questions in your post and I just didn’t read carefully enough?

7. by Larramie, on November 24 2008 @ 4:15 pm

Your creativity to solve challenges has no limits, Kris!

8. by Heather @ CamianAcademy, on November 26 2008 @ 4:41 am

Very cool. We got containers from Ikea so everything matches so finding lids is no longer an issue. We used to use Ziploc containers, but they changed their lids so ones we bought earlier no longer matched ones we bought later. Very annoying.

9. by Limiting Waste with Reusable Produce Bags | Paradise Found, on May 13 2010 @ 9:52 am

[...] remember when I vowed to use fewer Ziploc bags? I’ve done fairly well with that, though this project was never quite finished. Another project I’ve been wanting to attempt? Making my own [...]

Comment RSS

About Author

Your author profile widget would look nice here in sidebar 3.